Cape Breton University
Submitted by: – Submitted to:-
Harjot Singh Sandhu David Johnson
Student id: – 20184965
Does the Prime Minister have too much power? Have we morphed from a parliamentary democracy to a prime ministerial autocracy? Or do we need a strong prime ministership to provide effective government for the country?
ROLE OF PRIME MINISTER
Prime minister term means that the person who heads or represents the country and look after his country. A prime minister is the head of a cabinet and the leader of the ministers in the executive branch of government, often in a parliamentary or semi-presidential system. The prime minister selects and may dismiss other members of the cabinet, and allocates posts to members within the government, prime minister is the presiding member and chairman of the cabinet. In a minority of systems, notably in semi-presidential systems of government, a prime minister is the official who is appointed to manage the civil service and execute the directives of the head of state. Prime minster is not directly elected by the peoples of the country, first public elected the MPs of their own constituencies and then which party gets the more members elected those represent their prime minister. In most of countries election held after every five years and in some countries like Canada having term that one person can be prime minister only for two election periods. As in this topic I’m gone to talk about Canadian prime minister and their powers which they are having in their own hands. Canadian first prime minister was John Alexander Macdonald in 1867. There are 22 prime ministers in Canadian history from 1867 till 2018 and the most recent one is Justin Trudeau which was elected in 2015 elections. It is elected by the governor general directly. It is also commonly titled as a head of the government in the parliament system.
ROLE OF PRIME MINISTER
The prime minister seats whole sessions of the government and has the privilege tochoose the days and the request for the introduction of business in new sessions. The prime minister may likewise require introduction of a specific thing of business to the government whole session by a set date. On the proposition of the prime minister or the priest under whose order the issue closed by the falls, the legislature entire section may exchange an issue going under the command of an individual service for choice in whole session. The prime ministerial committees and furthermost the sessions of the economic the sessions of the economic council, the research and innovation council and the title board.
• PRIME MINISTER AS A CABINET CHAIR
The bureau is the key of basic leadership discussion in the Canadian government. The Canadian PM choose the extent of the bureau and choose bureau pastors-typically individuals from parliament and occasionally a representative – and allotted their special duties and portfolios. In choosing the individuals from bureau, the executive attempts to adjust Canadian provincial interest, guarantees a fitting blend of English, French and ensure that ladies and ethnic minorities are spoken.
• Boss designer of government structure: – prime serve is that the main producer of organization structure. All the bureau clerics and congressperson are tip top by the prime serve. Every one of the workplaces are leaded by the prime serve like money related office, Division of Agribusiness, prosperity division and conjointly unionized by the prime serve. These words are determined from the DAVID JOHNSON’s book Thinking Government fourth version (Johnson, 2017.
• PRIME MINISTER AS PARTY LEADER
The PM in Canada is as pioneer of a government political gathering, the head administrator should dependably be delicate to the national and the local officials of his or her gathering and in addition to the grassroot supporters of the party. As party pioneer, the leader must have the capacity to clarify party arrangements and programs and have the capacity to place them without hesitation. In races Canada, voters progressively characterize the strategies of a political gathering by their impression of the gathering pioneer, so the leader should persistently endeavor to interest a substantial number of voters. Political arrangements – as congresspersons, judges, diplomats, commission individuals and crown organization administrators.
• Strategy creator: – In Canada, every one of the laws and modifications related with game plans are analyzed inside the bureau underneath the effect of PM subsequently the delegate and PM pass that course of action if PM not comfortable.
• Appointment Powers
o Appointing Judges
• Since the Governor General settles on legal arrangement choices on the guidance of the executive, he or she has huge specialist in the legal arrangement process.
o Governor General in Council Delegate Supreme Court of Canada made a decision on the suggestion of the prime minister. First, the minister of equity recognizes a pool of qualified applicants, which is inspected by a determination board included up to five MPs. The board at that point presents an unranked rundown of three prescribed contender to the head administrator, who settles on an official conclusion about who to recommend. This expert has pulled in contention over the absence of straightforwardness in the basic leadership process. Be that as it may, as there are right now no open hearings on Supreme Court chosen people, there is little open door for Canadians to take in more about what fills the leader’s choice.
• Appointing Senators
o Section 21 and 32 of the Structure Act, 1867 require that a “fit and qualified Person” be named to the Senate when there are opening, in organize to protect support at one hundred and five administrators. Like the ensured custom, congresspersons are assigned by suggests of the Representative Common on the proposition of the prime serve, in consent to set up geographical divisions that are spread out in section 22 of the Structure. The PM’s capacity to recommend to the Senator Common which officials are to be assigned is especially essential given the long residency of congresspersons, who can take a seat till the required retirement age of 75. A talk has made about whether it is feasible for a best serve to compel a questionable prohibition on all Senate courses of action. For delineation, Prime Serve Stephen Harper did never again make any cutting-edge bits of knowledge for Senate game plan to the Representative Common for at scarcest two and half of quite a while, which realized in there being 22 less officials than the 105-people required underneath section 21 of the Structure. A couple have provoked that this location of regardless of whether the prime serve has “the expert to assign or not choose” congresspersons at his or her respect.
• Section 21 and 32 of the Structure Act, 1867 require that a “fit and qualified Person” be named to the Senate when there are opening, in organize to protect support at one hundred and five administrators. Similar to the ensured custom, congresspersons are assigned by suggests of the Representative Common on the proposition of the prime serve, in consent to set up geographical divisions that are spread out in section 22 of the Structure. The PM’s capacity to recommend to the Senator Common which officials are to be assigned is especially essential given the long residency of congresspersons, who can take a seat till the required retirement age of 75. A talk has made about whether it is feasible for a best serve to compel a questionable prohibition on all Senate courses of action. For delineation, Prime Serve Stephen Harper did never again make any cutting-edge bits of knowledge for Senate game plan to the Representative Common for at scarcest two and half of quite a while, which realized in there being 22 less officials than the 105-people required underneath section 21 of the Structure. A couple have provoked that this location of regardless of whether the prime serve has “the expert to assign or not choose” congresspersons at his or her respect has not but rather been immovably developed, as there’s no reference inside the Structure around what might possibly occur if the prime serve denies advocating a contender for game plan
EXCEPTIONAL RELATIONSHIP TO CLERK OF PRIVY COUNCIL – PM has remarkable association dispatch with the chamber. He’s the representative serve of the prime serve and secretary to the bureau, with the direction of the assistant pm designated the govt. officers regulating inside the country. He admonishes and back the ministers in settling on course of action decisions (Johnson, 2017).
EXCEPTIONAL RELATIONSHIP TO GOVERNOR GENERAL: – the PM unites a shut association with the congressperson. while assigning the senate thus the serve, he assumes the principal job to name them. He might be considered the best possible hand of the pm and conjointly the principal control of the pm (Johnson, 2017).
PRIMARY PIONEER IN PARLIAMENT: – The prime serve and bureau people have situated in Parliament and lead and facilitate Parliament’s activities and its regulatory arrangement. The prime serve in Canada should hold the grandiosity of the heft of the people inside the House of Commons or leave and solicit a breaking down from Parliament to have the struggle settled by a decision. Because of time objectives, the prime serve shares in exactly the primary essential wrangles about inside the House of Commons, much the same as the dispute on the Discourse from the Position of power and wrangles about on upsetting establishment. Regardless, the prime serve will monitor the govt and its game plans inside the step by step Address total inside the House of Commons
2.(David Johnson, Thinking Government (Public Administration and Politics in Canada), 4th ed. (University of Toronto))
Boss International delegate of the nation: – The prime serve is that the main operator of country, perform regular commitments and various assorted bona fide obligations, these joins alerts related with escape welcome, meetings with the games bundles and parts of differing limits or people those address the country at general dimension and abundance of additional (Sangha, 2015).
It has been coordinated that the Canadian leader serve will in general support forces to a degree that is unwanted in an exceedingly larger part rule society. this substance surveys the “prime fill in as tyrant” conflict that has gotten money, in case not inside the enlightening composition, obviously inside the rich media. it’s coordinated that however there has been a relative augmentation inside the centralization of control inside the center.
MINISTER ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
At the point when delegated to the bureau, full priests at least one division to oversee. As the political leaders of these portfolios, they are authoritatively responsible to the administration, to the parliament and the general population of Canada for every one of the choices and activities of their area of expertise and of all the administrative offices and Crown enterprise answering to those offices. (johnson,2017 chapter 3)
Inside the parliamentary custom clerical obligation includes two unmistakable yet related ideas. To start with, individual pastoral obligation, as imply that
• Is individually responsible for the running of his or her departments
• Is ultimately responsible, before parliament, for the policy and program development of the departments
• Is accountable for all decisions made by the departments while he or she is in charge
If there is any need of explanation of anything minister is expected to stand and gave it in front of HOUSE OF COMMONS and explain everything asked by opposition party about and departmental operations and need to give all essential information to the opposition about the departmental actions before the media.
And if there is any kind of allegation of any corruption, ministerial disruption, departmental incompetence and cannot be defended properly, the minister must resign from his position. So, the public and parliament had remained their trust on the government, so they can do work well in future. (johnson,2017 chapter 3)
MINISTRIAL RESPONSIBILITY COLLECTIVELY
• Ministers bear collectively for the final approval of government policy.
• Minister are expected to support government legislation in parliament.
• Minister are expected to promote and defend all government policies and programs in public and to resign if they cannot do in good faith. (johnson,2017 chapter 3)
THE PRIME MINISTERIAL PREROGATIVE
This outline of formal process from the 1960s to the early 1990s remains a good description of routine decision making within the christen martin, and Harper cabinets in the early years of this century, with some modification mentioned below. However, a shadow decision-making process has always operated alongside, and in competition to, formal process. This is prime ministerial direction, or what a former principal secretary to Pierre Trudeau, has called the strategic prime minister ship.
PRIME MINISTER’S DUTIES
• The prime minister is responsible for all the decisions and policies of the British government.
• He or she appoints government officials, such as members of the Cabinet.
• He or she serves as the head of the Cabinet and sits on several Cabinet committees.
• He or she manages, oversees, and organizes the work of government departments and agencies.
• He or she serves as a liaison between the monarch and the government, keeping the monarch up-to-date on government business. He or she also recommends candidates for the monarch to appoint to the House of Lords, the judicial bench, and the clergy of the Church of England.
• He or she is active in the House of Commons, often participating in debates, answering questions from fellow MPs, and making formal statements.
• He or she is the leader of his or her political party and works to keep the other members in line.
• He or she represents the United Kingdom internationally.
According to my perception Canadian democracy has moved from autocracy to the prime ministerial dictatorship because most of the powers are held by prime minister he or she can hire or fired any one they want